Sunday 27 October 2013

{1} Chasing Away The Heavy Heart: KEEPING YOURSELF BUSY


وَأَنَّهُ هُوَ أَضْحَكَ وَأَبْكَى 

"...and that it is He alone who causes [you] to laugh and to weep." 

[Surah an-Najm 53:43]

-----()-----


-----()-----

One thing I seem to find frustrating from time to time is that I can not find solutions to my problems straightaway. I thought maybe I should collate some of ways I attempt to block away sadness so that others can find solutions here.

So I decided to write a string of posts around 'chasing away the heavy heart'.

Instead of just writing about feeling down, I thought it would be much more practical to share how I drive the misery away.

One way in which I chase away the heavy heart is by keeping myself busy.

-----()-----

Some days are easier to get through than others. I think we all have those days where everything seems to be weighing down on our shoulders, and it seems like too much.

Kind of like drowning.

What a lot of these moments have in common is that we are lonely at the time. It might not be the same for everyone, but I have noticed that with myself. I tend to dwell in sadness when I am alone or am doing nothing.

Well the number one thing to do is, STOP DWELLING OR OVER THINKING.

When I am alone, I get lost in my thoughts.

Over thinking is much like digging a hole and throwing yourself head first into it. I like to think of it as the poison of my mind.

Usually I know I am over thinking and I never do enough to stop it.

The best thing to do is to stop spending so much time in our minds.

But how do you stop spending so much time in that place up there?

By keeping yourself busy!

There are so many different ways to do so.

Some of the things I do include:

- Reading a book: Fiction, non fiction, why not even a revision textbook! Books are good at capturing your mind, it allows you to have time to just indulge in something else other than those sad thoughts that run circles in your head.

- Helping around the house: I have been doing this a lot recently. Tidying up maybe your room or helping out in the kitchen. If I am honest, it's not all that fun at times but I find that if I really put my mind into cleaning, my mind kind of creates a barrier against other thoughts. Not only that, there is a satisfaction to seeing a job well done by yourself.

- Friends: Being around my friends is a fab way to keep myself busy. They never fail to make me smile and they are always there for me when I'm low.

And FINALLY keep yourself busy in general, whether that is helping around at school/work, getting involved in new activities and classes. I am planning to do more of that, getting involved with new things. In'Sha'Allah I can start doing more soon!

I hope this post helps in one way or another, even if you take only one thing from it. I hope to write more posts on chasing away the heavy heart soon.

Till then, we shall all continue to strive.

To read the other posts in this series of sorts, just click on the label at the end of the post that says 'Chasing Away The Heavy Heart'.

2 comments:

  1. I understand where you're coming from, this is personally a very uplifting thing to read, In' Sha ' Allah you are always happy :-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and In'Sha'Allah we all can be!

      Delete

Every comment is appreciated so very very much!